Thursday, June 24, 2010

some stuff with some things.

Well, aside from not being able to get rid of this funk I've got... seriously... who gets a cold in JUNE?  Me, apparently.  I blame my students.  Germ hoarders is what they are.

Anyway, this week was the final 3 days of this session of ESY, or extended school year, for my kids. So now, I have 2 full weeks off! HUZZAH!  I will clean my house, and then mess it up again!

I did have a student from a local university come an observe us yesterday.  I get a lot of students from the university.  Mostly because my lead teacher is a teacher there, and she knows that she can trust me to give accurate information.  BUT!  My students really are the true essence of "autistic."  Not to mention the fact that we are the most restrictive environment in our district for cognitive disabilities.  But, I digress, I think coming to my classroom raises more questions for people than answers.  If you know autism in theory and not in practice, you think that children with autism are these robotic, non-socializing, self-absorbed, touch-me-nots.  But, when people come into my classroom, they see the opposite of that.  They see children who truly are autistic, but they are not robotic by any means, they are running around, playing with toys, on the computer, etc.  They seek out adult (and sometimes peer) attention.  Some will even go and sit in new comers laps to get a hug, have a story read, or let me be honest, manipulate them to giving them something they want (they are children after all). 

I cannot tell you how many times I have gotten "wow, I didn't know autistic kids could be this... this... cool!" This gives me such a sense of pride and accomplishment, because believe me, most of the children when they first come do tend to be the self-absorbed, non-socializing types.  I had one student who when he came to me, he would've been content to sit and watch tennis balls roll around on the floor all day.  I work with my students diligently to realize that other people are important, that we need other people.  This is one of the main goals of my classroom, and when people come in and my students are super friendly to them, I feel like, ALRIGHT! What I'm doing is WORKING! :)

Well, it's official, Park Seed sent me the wrong rose bush.  :(  I ordered an Ebb Tide rose bush, which has a dark purple color.  Well, my rose bush started blooming, and well, the blooms were pink.  Very, very pink.  It's a nice rose bush, don't get me wrong, I do like it.  But I wanted the purple one.  I guess I'll try again.  Here is a picture of the rose bush though! :)



I'm almost completed with the interior of Chloe's doll house!  I'm working on the final trim, then I will install outlets, and hang curtains.  Then, it will be all ready for furniture.

As for my doll house, I've of course been doing some "screen shopping" online.  I found the greyhound I want to buy for it.  It's black and white, like my dog, Pattie.  She died about 7 months ago.  I will have to put a dab of white on the tip of the tail and a small white line up the nose, but past that, it's perfect!

No comments: