My random mutterings about marriage, parenting, teaching, making, doing, and life in general. Opinions in this blog are subject to change at any time. This can happen for your benefit or my amusement.
Monday, June 28, 2010
It's amazing where God's Grace meets you.
So Chloe and I were at Sams club doing our "bulk shopping" - which includes paper goods, fruits, and junk foods. :P Well, we get our cereals there too; we are a cereal eating family. As I was picking up Taylor's Honey Nut Cherios and trying to decide if I wanted regular Raisin Bran or Crunchy Raisin Bran and trying to figure out why in the WORLD regular Raisin Bran costs MORE than Crunchy Raisin Bran; Chloe gets a little bit of excitement in her voice and says MOMMY! I WANT LUCKY CHARMS! I think about this for a moment, knowing good and well that she doesn't like to eat cereal that often, and when she does eat it, it is Lucky Charms, and all she does is pick out the marshmallows. A two bag box for 8.00 is kind of a large investment for a child just picking out the marshmallows. So I reply with "Chloe, that's a lot of money for you just to eat the marshmallows, and for you to finish that whole box, it would take you till Christmas." I could tell Chloe was kind of upset by my "No," but she didn't argue - for once. Then, this wonderful African American woman, with two teenage boys with her, came up and handed Chloe $8.00 and said - "Sweetie, you don't normally take money from strangers. But I know how hard it is for you and your mama, and I want you to take this. You go get those Lucky Charms, darlin'." I was floored. I of course argued with her, and told her to take her money back, and that Chloe didn't need the cereal. She said that she knows what it's like to be a single mom. I went on to explain I had been a single mom, but I got married in October. She said, "Well, you still know what it is like. Let her get the cereal, and just pay it forward, sweetie. You have a blessed day." and her and her sons walked away. It's amazing where God's Grace will meet you. It doesn't always happen in church, sometimes it happens in the cereal isle in Sam's Club.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment