Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Dollhouse Decisions

So, as some of you know, I have taken up "dollhousing" (I just invented a word!) as a hobby.  And as I have finished darling daughters dollhouse, and my computer is about to go on a 10-13 day holiday to the Dell Doctor (teehee) I'm going to have A LOT of free time on my hands.  I've also known for a hot minute that I wanted to do a dollhouse of my own.  So, I'm going to buy myself a dollhouse kit and do it!!  I've found three that I really like, but I like them for different reasons, and I was hoping some of my readers could help me decide (because hubs is no help!).  As such, I'm going to post a picture, the specs, the price, and the pros/cons of each of the three.  Please leave me a comment and let me know which one you think! :)
  
 
























Pictures from the Greenleaf Dollhouse Shop
The Beacon Hill
33" W x 25" D x 40" H
$156.00
Pros
  1. 7 rooms; 2 halls
  2. Three fireplaces
  3. Three bay windows
  4. Three floors
  5. Expansions possible
  6. Style of the house
  7. "Dream" dollhouse as a girl
  8. Not a lot of shingling
  9. Double front doors
  10. Lots of windows
  11. Made of wood, so it's light
  12. Made in USA
Cons
  1. Cost
  2. Could take a while to finish (could be a pro)


















Pictures from the Greenleaf Dollhouse Shop
The Lily
31" W x 37"D x 23"H
$81
Pros
  1. 7 rooms, 2 hallways
  2. Foyer
  3. Wrap around porch
  4. Back door
  5. Style of house
  6. Not a lot of shingling
  7. Double front doors
  8. Lots of windows
  9. Made of wood
  10. Made in USA
Cons
  1. Open Back AND side
  2. No expansions
  3. Could take a long time to finish (Could be pro)

  
















Pictures from www.realgoodtoys.com
Victorian Farmhouse
34.5" W x 25" D x 33" H
$95 (with Hobby lobby 40% off coupon)
Pros
  1. 8 rooms
  2. Side access door
  3. Two staircases
  4. Three floors
  5. Wrap around porch
  6. Upper door for exterior porch
  7. Company based in Vermont
Cons
  1. MDF (Medium Density Fiberboard) is Heavy
  2. Cannot Expand
  3. Lots of shingling
  4. Not a lot of windows, would have to add
  5. Outlets are hard to put into MDF for lighting
  6. Kits manufactured in Taiwan

2 comments:

a simple offering said...

I ruled out the last one right away. I think it's kind of boring compared to the others and it sounds like a lot more work. I like the first 2. If I were you I'd go with the one I love, the one you really want. That sounds like the first one. I love it, too. It may cost a little more but it's not a whole lot more. And this is something you will have for a long long time and then pass along, I assume. So, that's my opinion. Decision making is easy when it's for someone else-lol.

rainbowbritefiend said...

Gah I know, the more I looked at it, the more boring it looked! LOL

Hubby said it was up to me, so I may just go for the gold and buy the big one. Luckily, the one I want has free shipping right now! WOOHOO! Something to do while my computer is on holiday! :P